Simple sponge cake made – wait for it – in the microwave. Yep, you read that right. In this installation of our Culinary Cultivation, we are in the kitchen with Philip Kwong, CEO of 3 Carbon Extractions. He is walking us through a surprisingly simple dessert recipe for Infused Honey with Chocolate Sponge Cake all using things you likely already have in your pantry.
Infusing the honey (or any sweetener) with the Levo is a great way to control the dosage while cooking with a potent strain like Serratus. This a high THC cultivar is Sungrown, as always, and has a woodsy aroma that pairs nicely with the fresh berries and sponge cake. The finale to a dinner party or maybe just a decadent treat for one, it’s fresh, sweet, and has a hint of potent BC bud.
Sweetly spiked is our kind of dessert.
21 grams flour
80 grams sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
4 whole eggs
a stick of rhubarb
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp icing sugar
1/3 cup blueberries
3.5 grams Tantalus Labs Serratus
1 cup liquid honey
(Can be doubled)
- Preheat oven to 245 degrees Fahrenheit, break up Serratus flower into small buds (do not grind it). Decarboxylate half of the serratus flower on a baking tray lined with parchment at 245 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes. Take the decarboxylated flower and non decarboxylated flower and break apart into small buds, put the Serratus flower and star anise in to the Levo pod, and put into the Levo reservoir. Add honey into Levo reservoir and set temperature to 105 degrees, for 2-hours.
- Sift flower, sugar and cocoa powered into a stainless-steel bowl.
- Slowly whisk eggs into dry mixture until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a whipped cream siphon and shake vigorously.
- Use two NO2 chargers for the siphon.
- In a paper cup, make 4 small slits in the bottom of the cup.
- Put the cup onto a plate and fill the cup up halfway with the mixture. (the mixture should look like an airy chocolate mousse.
- Put in microwave for 40 seconds (this time may vary depending on the strength of the microwave).
- Let cake cool in the cup and remove when ready to serve.
- Whisk all whipping cream ingredients in a stainless-steel bowl to a stiff peak.
- In a small pot simmer sugar and water together until sugar is dissolved, to make a simple syrup. Cut rhubarb about a pinky width thickness, add rhubarb into simmering simple syrup for 45 seconds and remove.
- In a stainless-steel bowl, add blueberries, infused honey, 3tbls of simple syrup from rhubarb and mix together.
- Once all components are ready, plate and enjoy! Garnish with lemon zest if the mood strikes you.